2016. március 27., vasárnap

Cheap standing fan from Asia - It is a disaster, terrible, unspeakable, but it works


We have bought this standing fan around 10 years ago. It was not used too much, only on some summers if there was too hot. Unfortunately the summers are getting hotter and hotter in each year. If I remember correctly we bought it on a street market. The street markets sell cheap stuff without a store usually on open spaces. It get tired as the years passed by, of course it was not perfect even when it was new. I have found its blade on the street, because my blade has broken when I accidentally pushed it on the floor. Originally it had blue blades.


Its Brand is Crown, the size is 16 inch, which is correct.


It says: design in Taiwan. It does not matter where it was manufactured... It even has a model number: SF-101. The 60W is true. Q.C. Pass. It means it has passed the quality check. It depends what we call quality and what are the requirements. I think the inspectors either have not inspected this model or it is really what they call desired quality. Does it work or not? It is, so it passed.



I have put some paper under the motor as it resonates so that the whole fan resonates loudly.


Its power consumption:
1. setting: 43W
2. setting: 53W
Afterburner: 61W

Let's see what is wrong with it. The language is Hungarian but the obvious is visible anyway.



I planned to reinforce the legs so it would wobble this much. I have begun to take it apart. This is the sight I saw. It is one thing what would the consumer protection agency say about this, but this also bothers me. This is ridiculous. The incoming two cable, earth and phase are barely touches the pad where they should be securely soldered. They are held there by a feather. If the device falls to the floor for example, these wires can come loose and cause a short circuit. In a better case it only shuts off the fuse in the house in worse case it may catch fire. Horrible.



There is the hole for the wire to solder to, but the factory worker only barely soldered it there. Of course I understand that a factory worker in China solders 5000 from these a day in 14 hour a day for very little money. But anyway...


This is an unhappy standing fan, showing its internal organs.


This crack appeared from the normal usage of the fan.


This capacitor is a mystery. It is broken when the worker secured it, because there was not enough space between the housing and the capacitor, so when the worker tightened it broke down.



As I have seen more and more from the design details, I knew that it is unnecessary to reinforce the legs, as the problem does not lay there. The problem is that the fan blade is not in balance. Because of this, the faster it spins, the more it wobbles. So it does not matter if I reinforce its case or not, sooner or later it would become loose again. So I decided to leave it as it is. I have changed the capacitor, I soldered the wires back and tightened the screws. It stays as it is. On the first setting it does not wobble that much, you should not use the others. :)

I ordered the capacitor from China, it was cheaper with delivery than in a shop in Hungary. It cost 99 USD cents.


I have secured it as it should have been in the factory, I have soldered the wires again.


I have soldered the main cables again and cleaned the button contacts.


I have assembled it again and now it looks the same, works the same... Of course it wobbles less with 10% and will not catch fire. But the main thing is that it works. Please do not buy such a cheap standing fan, there are much better fans for a little more money. Unfortunately I do not remember how much it cost when we bought it.

1 megjegyzés:

  1. hello my friend,
    i want to buy from you this fan and more fans with light brand crown.
    i'm a fans collector and love fans with lamp brand crown.
    you can find for me more fans brand crown?
    i don't have a problem to pay more money to get them
    please help me my friend
    mariana

    VálaszTörlés